Tuesday, June 19, 2012

the art of cinema - all the president's men

  


The art of cinema no.3

All The President's Men

T and I watched Alan Pakula's "All the President's Men" recently, on Hannah's advice - It's a fantastic film, beautifully shot, but one shot in particular really stood out; a dual-focus shot in the Washington Post office. I've probably seen dual-focus shots before (I'm pretty sure there's one or two in the original Matrix), but this one really stood out. Bob Woodward (Robert Redford) on the phone, putting the pieces of the Watergate puzzle together, while the rest of the office staff congregate around a TV in the background. It's beautiful. 
I didn't notice the second appearance of this dual-focus technique until Alex Woo's Blog pointed it out, but again, beautiful. Bob's hard at work while all the other phones sit unused.

2 comments:

  1. YES!!!! the OG hunk himself.. I love the dual focus shots in this and also when the camera pulls back into crazy extreme wide shot of the library of congress... wow.

    xxx

    ReplyDelete
  2. It makes me sick how much I love Redford. LOVE. Especially in The Way We Were, ah!

    ReplyDelete