Friday, December 14, 2012

on personality and place


I ask Didion if she knows herself better now. “Yes,” she says. “I don’t know that there’s any value in
knowing yourself better, but I think I do. I don’t feel worse or better. It’s just there.”
 -Joan Didion, The New York Times

I have been in New York on my own for two weeks now. It's been amazing spending time in an unfamiliar city, learning how to get around, where to find the best coffee and having time to think, to read and to learn. I love so many things about New York, the food, the weather, the shopping, the culture.

I just started the next book on my reading list, Blue Nights, another Didion, and I'm looking forward to getting Grace Coddington's new book, Grace: A Memoir as well as Allure by Diana Vreeland. I love reading in Central Park - it has been far too long since I dedicated a whole day to a book and I had forgotten just how great a feeling it is to become lost in its pages.

Joan said there was something special about being twenty-two in New York, and I think she was right. I know myself better now than ever and it has been exciting getting to know this great city too. Speaking of self, I also have two new interviews up on This is Collective and The Love Assembly, thankyou for having me Jess and Aubrey!

Photo by me

1 comment:

  1. New cities are such fun - and New York is one of the best! Glad you are having fun. Great interviews!

    ReplyDelete