Friday, January 13, 2012

last night






"All happy families are alike; every unhappy family is unhappy in its own way."
-Leo Tolstoy, Anna Karenina 

There are few authors who understood family as well as Tolstoy. He could build characters flawlessly, their strengths and weaknesses laid bare. It's this opening quote from Anna Karenina that was my first introduction to his writing, a book flooded with love, desire, marriage, infidelity and tragedy. 

When I first watched the trailer for Last Night I couldn't wait to see it. Much like Anna Karenina it's an honest portrayal of marriage and temptation. Combined with a great cast and New York setting it had all the makings of a soon-to-be-favourite

It ended up being a straight to DVD release in Australia and one of the most underrated movies that made my list for 2010. 

I particularly fell for Keira Knightly's character in the film, a freelance writer living in one of those amazing Manhattan loft apartments with an easy wardrobe of sophisticated separates. The Ann Roth- designed costumes left me searching for a little black dress, delicate jewellery and of course, the perfect trench coat.

1-4. Photographs from the set of Last Night by Brigitte Lacombe, 5. Film still from Last Night.

6 comments:

  1. I have wanted to see this since they were filming it when I was in New York and I was so intrigued, I was like.. I want to see that movie!!! I loooooove Guillame Canet to a level that is kind of inappropriate, and of course, keira is so beautiful. do you own this on dvd? I have to borrow it from you I really really really am desperate to see it haha! I didn't know Keira was a freelance writer in the movie?? I'm going to be just like her in 10 years time hahaha.

    xxxx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh you will love it! Freelance writer living in New York with a wardrobe filled of timeless pieces, the apartment is so perfect too. Agreed about Guillame Canet.

    xx

    ReplyDelete
  3. loving your blog! do you mind if i ask how you make your images larger than the standard on blogger? thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks! I customised my html and changed the main wrapper to 660px to contain 640px images, and when I upload photos I choose the extra large option.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Keira is such a total stunner - these photos are just so uber beautiful

    xxx

    INSIDE IN INSIDE OUT

    ReplyDelete
  6. I LOVE YOU TALISA! CONTINUE THIS GREAT BLOG!

    ReplyDelete